Wednesday, August 28, 2013

mixing prints




You know those days where comfort rules all when it comes to choosing your outfit, and you don't care as much how you actually look? This was one of those days. It was going to be hot, humid, and rainy, and I just wanted to be as comfortable and cool as possible. It was an internship day,  in which I wear nice casual clothes, and no shorts (and socks, sorry about those!) So I put on my polka dot denim capris and this lightweight skin skimming floral top, which is basically a moisture wicking nice shirt. I figured the pants are basically jeans, so they would be ok with anything, but I was fully prepared to look a little mismatched. But I was pleasantly surprised when I put it on in the morning and it actually looked good!

I don't know how much you can tell by these pictures, but it definitely shows the importance of fit in how frumpy or not frumpy you look. I also don't mix prints very often, so I pleased to see how these prints looked good together. The key to mixing prints, though, is pairing a smaller one with a larger one, which is the rule I followed here. The polka dots are tiny so while they're cute and more interesting then plain blue denim, they aren't all that attention grabbing. That way, it was fine to pair them with a larger floral print in the top. You don't want your patterns competing for attention, but rather complimenting one another.

Top: JCPenney's
Pants: Kohl's (exact below)
Necklace: American Eagle

Shop the Look:


mixed prints


Linking up to Random Wednesday at Because Shanna Said So.

0 comments:

Post a Comment